tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Paul D. Bain" <paul_b...@bigfoot.com>
Subject Re: mod_jk and mod_jk2 HELP
Date Sun, 16 Jun 2002 17:00:28 GMT
At Saturday 6/15/02 11:25 PM, you wrote:
>Maybe I missed something basic, but I have not been sucessful [in]
>getting either of these two connectors working with Apache2.
>
>I started with Tomcat 4.0.3 and no luck, moved on to 4.04-b3 with more
>success and I downloaded 4.1.3 and have almost got it working (I think)
>
>I am working on Solaris 8 and 9 with jsdk 1.4.0.  I downloaded the
>binary installation of tomcat and the source code for the connectors.  I
>was able to build the mod_jk.so and mod_jk2.so from the source with a
>little modification (hardcoded the location of the log file, and remove
>reference to file.logger.win32, why it is a sparc machine?)  Apache
>loads and does [not] give any error until I try running the examples.  I get
>the "handler jakarta-servlet" not found error.
>
>Other than the Loadmodule line what else do I need in Apache's
>httpd.conf file?

Mark,

         Let me quote from C. Aulds' book ("Linux Apache web server
administration"), p. 134 :

                 All [Apache] modules, even those that are statically
linked into the Apache kernel, must be explicitily enabled with an
AddModule directive. Only DSO modules [modules compiled as "dynamic shared
objects"], however, require the LoadModule directive [as well]  .  .  .  .
These two directives do not have to be located together.

         Aulds continues (p. 135):

                 DSO modules are always processed in the reverse of the
order in which they are loaded, so the first modules loaded are the last
ones processed  .  .  .  . [S]ome modules must be processed in the correct
order to avoid conflicts. When a module must be processed before another,
make sure that its AddModule line is placed _after_ the other module in the
httpd.conf file. (emphasis in original)

         Furthermore, according to what I have read in newsgroups, some
modules (e.g., mod_java and mod_perl) did not "play well together" when
either was compiled as a DSO, requiring that they both be compiled into
Apache rather than being loaded (into memory) at run-time.

--Paul B.