tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Atif Munir <>
Subject Re: Environment Variables !!
Date Thu, 27 Jun 2002 08:18:57 GMT
Hello Umair,
Plz follow the instructions below ...I am sure can will do it.

Installation of Tomcat:
Download JDK(SDK) For Linux  from the site
2-tar -xzvf jdk-1_2_2_012-linux-i386\[1\].tar.gz
3-Most Important thing is to set the JAVA_HOME env variable, Set it by the
export JAVA_HOME=/home/munir/jdk/jdk1.2.2

Now second thing is to install Tomcat:
1-First download it from the site

2-tar -xzvf jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4.tar.gz
3-cd jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4
4-cd bin
If Tomcat default page with logo is there then its up, You may enjoy.

Allah hafiz

Mohammed Omar wrote:

> Dear all
> I have Redhat 7.2 installed with the latest JDK , and i installed tomcat ,
> but when i run ./ it gives me :
> The JAVA_HOME environment variable is not defined
> This environment variable is needed to run this program .
> I know it is a question about how to set environment variables in RedHat .
> I used this command :
> set JAVA_HOME=jdk path
> export JAVA_HOME
> but i still receieve the same message ......  what i can do?
> Thanks

M.Atif Munir
Unix System Administrator
Nologics (Pvt.) Limited