tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Fabio Mengue <fa...@ccuec.unicamp.br>
Subject Re: javax.naming.NamingException: Cannot create resource instance
Date Tue, 25 Jun 2002 13:56:35 GMT
Hello,

Dave Gibbs wrote:

>DB2 driver does need the URL formatted as follows.
>URL="jdbc:db2:your_db_name"

My server.xml entry (this DON'T work)

          <Resource name="jdbc/DataSource" auth="Container"
                   type="javax.sql.DataSource"/>
            <ResourceParams name="jdbc/DataSource">
              <parameter>
                <name>factory</name>

              </parameter>

  // Get
this from the application...

  // idem
                   <value>COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.net.DB2Driver</value>
              </parameter>
               <value>jdbc:db2://server.unicamp.br:8088/database</value>
              </parameter>
            </ResourceParams>

>Have you installed the DB2 CAE on the host machine ?

Yes. I don't know much about DB2, we have a DBA for that. I'm just the
poor guy trying to make this work :) I can telnet my server on port
8088, I assume that the host is responding.

>also if you want to use JDBC2 you need to build a new db2java.zip by running
>usejdbc2.bat in Drive:\DB2\java12.

The DBA guy done that. In fact, I've got my application working with
COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2Driver on one context, got it working with
COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.net.DB2Driver on another, and I'm trying to make it
work with COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.net.DB2Driver and DBCP on another context.
All on the same server and with Tomcat 4.0.4 (did not tried 4.1.x)

To do that, I had to put on TOMCAT/bin/setclasspath.sh

JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.library.path=/home/db2inst1/sqllib/java12/"

and created a TOMCAT/bin/setenv.sh that is a soft link to
DB2/sqllib/db2profile.

When my servlet try to connect to DB2, I get*
java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException*.

There are several things I don't understand. I read that
javax.sql.DataSource is an interface, that has to be implemented by
another class, supplied by the database vendor. I read Les Hughes
examples and comments, and several people have done their configuration
using other classes than javax.sql.DataSource. DB2 has
DB2BaseDataSource, DB2ConnectionPoolDataSource, DB2DataSource and
DB2XADataSource in his db2java.zip, and I did not found any
documentation on them. May I use them directly ? Do I need to use
javax.sql.ConnectionPoolDataSource ? If DBCP just pools general
Connection objects, why do I get UnsupportedOperationException ? Is DB2
driver not JDBC2.0 compliant ? I don't know, so I'm trying option by
option. Until now, no luck (I'm glad that I have time to test this, my
deadline is a couple of months from now).

I think I'll rm -rf Tomcat and start all over again :) Now for the
million dolar question: Dave, did you manage to make DB2 + DBCP work ?
If so, may you send me your server.xml ?

Thanks,

Fabio.

--
Fabio Mengue - Centro de Computacao - Unicamp
fabio@ccuec.unicamp.br       fabio@unicamp.br