tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Denis Haskin <De...@HaskinFerguson.net>
Subject Re: Signed vs. unsigned ints in Java
Date Wed, 19 Jun 2002 16:02:43 GMT
(Perhaps we should take this offline since it's not Tomcat-specific.)

Although Java will always give you back the signed representation of a
byte/int/whatever, you can actually set the unsigned values you want by using
casting to avoid the "loss of precision" error.

E.g. if I say:
    byte b = (byte)0xFF;
or
    byte b = (byte)256;
then all 8 bits in the byte get set (and of course if I print it out Java says
the value is -1.

Then it's simple matter of bit masking and shifting to select the bits you want
and put them in the right place in your protocol header.

I assume you don't really want a *String* of bits, right?  That threw Yoav off
<grin>.

dwh