tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Peter Janes <pet...@liberate.com>
Subject Local webapp config for remote deployment?
Date Mon, 17 Jun 2002 18:46:04 GMT
I seem to recall that remotely-deployed web apps can be configured locally
starting in the Servlet 2.3 spec.  (Unfortunately I can't find chapter and
verse at the moment.)  The gist is that a config fragment is placed in the
webapps directory with the same basename as the path, and this would be used
as well as/instead of the .war's embedded web.xml.  In fact, I can see this
being done for the "manager" webapp, which is locally configured in
${CATALINA_HOME}/webapps/manager.xml.

I'd like to be able to do this with my own application, but haven't had any
luck.  I'm trying to add an init parameter, "foo", and redirect the app's
log messages to its own file.  Presuming the path is "/MyApp", I have the
following config fragment in ${CATALINA_HOME}/webapps/MyApp.xml.

<Context path="/MyApp" debug="1" cookies="false" override="true">
         <Parameter name="foo" value="bar" override="true"/>
                 prefix="MyApp." suffix=".log" pattern="common"/>
</Context>

I've tried turning debug on and off, setting override to true and false (is
it just me, or does the double-negative in the deployment descriptor
documentation confuse anyone else), and enabling various combinations of the
Parameter and Valve elements, and completely restarting the server, all with
no luck.

It seems unlikely, but do I need to create a ServletContextListener or
ServletContextAttributeListener to pick up the extra init parameters?

Is there (hopefully) some fundamental step I've missed?

Thanks,
Peter J.
--
fix, n., v.  What one does when a problem has been reported too many
times to be ignored.