tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Neil Piper <neil.pi...@adelaide.edu.au>
Subject Performance - Changing over to Tomcat from Weblogic
Date Mon, 17 Jun 2002 07:08:10 GMT
Hi,

I'm finding it really hard to find performance data on Tomcat and
various other web servers in an accessible format - (conspiracy by
marketing depts?)

We run a large courseware product serving a universities online
education needs via the middleware product blackboard. In version 6
Blackboard
are considering switching from using Web logic as their supported server
to Tomcat.

We have the following statistics for a typical month:

Average successful requests per day: 330,647
Average successful requests for pages per day: 114,235
Average data transferred per day: 1.706 gigabytes

At peak times we can expect a peak rate of around 100 page requests per
second on various days. (300 file requests)

The hardware in use is a 2 tier solution, an app server with Blackboard
and a database server. The app server is a SunOS 5.7 sparc
SUNW,Ultra-80. Unfortunately I don't have much performance data at the
moment on how much memory on average is in use.

Will this changeover adversely affect our performance to a large degree
? Should we upgrade hardware infrastructure (Load balancing?),  Has
anyone else tested at this magnitude of data and found tomcat to be
adequate ?

// Neil Piper

--
Neil Piper