tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tim Funk <>
Subject Re: Other question
Date Fri, 14 Jun 2002 12:26:04 GMT
Welcome to PID hell! I have this working on HPUX, if you are trying this
on another UNIX - I'm not sure what may happen but here are some hints
to track things down.

1) Make sure the directory you are starting tomcat you are typing
bin/ This ensures you will write the the correct log directory.

2) My original version of the script was:
echo $PPID > logs/

This printed out the wrong PID since the first line created an extra
shell process for the script to execute in. I wonder if
Runtime.getRuntime().exec is creating "an extra process" which would
cause you to get the wrong pid. If that is the case - I can't be of
help. A Google search will probably provide a better solution than mine
for determining process id of a java program.

Laura wrote:
> Hi,
> I have installed your code in my Tomcat (4.0.2 + apache).
> But it doesn't seem to be correct. It writes in a PID that doesn't
> seem to be correct: I have tried to do:
> kill -9 PID (which is in the
> and the system tells me:
> bash: kill: (3977) - No such pid