tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Eric Armstrong <eric.armstr...@sun.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 4.0 Manager Install -- Brittle??
Date Thu, 13 Jun 2002 23:47:48 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:

> Eric Armstrong wrote:
> > I've been using the ant install task to add a servlet
> > to a Tomcat 4.0 container.
> >
> > Symptoms:
> >     1) The install script hangs.
> >     2) Tomcat crashes.
> >     3) Catalina.out shows that the app threw an
> >         exception at startup.
> >
> > I understand having to fix my application, but its
> > weird that I have to restart Tomcat after each
> > failed attempt.
> >
> > Is that a known problem with the Manager?
> >
> > In 3.1, it was possible to update an app without having
> > to restart Tomcat. Does that feature exist in 4.0?
>
> How do you reproduce that ?

In my case, the app is throwing an exception because
a file it was looking for wasn't found. (With the install
task, I'm no longer copying to the webapps directory.
That's a good thing, but I've had to figure out where
files are relative to each other all over again.)

The exception that gets thrown is:
java.lang.Exception: No data file found:
   /longPathFromRoot/servlet/build/glossary/main-glossary.xml
   at pkg.XmlFile.init(Unknown Source)

Where XmlFile is my DOM wrapper.

The full dump from Catalina.out is reproduced below, in case
it holds any clues.
Initializing com.sun.intl.GlossaryServlet at Thu Jun 13 16:24:19 PDT 2002
  Initializing XmlFile
java.lang.Exception: No data file found:
/java/pubs/dev/glossary/servlet/build/glossary/main-glossary.xml
 at com.sun.intl.XmlFile.init(Unknown Source)
 at com.sun.intl.XmlFile.<init>(Unknown Source)
 at com.sun.intl.DataModule.<init>(Unknown Source)
 at com.sun.intl.GlossaryServlet.init(Unknown Source)
 at javax.servlet.GenericServlet.init(GenericServlet.java:258)
 at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:919)
 at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.load(StandardWrapper.java:811)
 at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.loadOnStartup(StandardContext.java:3293)

 at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:3486)
 at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:821)
 at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:807)
 at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:579)
 at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostDeployer.install(StandardHostDeployer.java:257)

 at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.install(StandardHost.java:773)
 at org.apache.catalina.servlets.ManagerServlet.install(ManagerServlet.java:646)
 at org.apache.catalina.servlets.ManagerServlet.doGet(ManagerServlet.java:339)
 at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:247)

 at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193)

 at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:260)

 at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:646)

 at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:483)
 at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:995)
 at

 at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:646)

 at
org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:527)

 at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:644)

 at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:483)
 at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:995)
 at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.invoke(StandardContext.java:2349)
 at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:180)

 at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:646)

 at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorDispatcherValve.invoke(ErrorDispatcherValve.java:170)

 at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:644)

 at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:171)

 at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:644)

 at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:483)
 at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:995)
 at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:174)

 at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:646)

 at org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(AccessLogValve.java:469)
 at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:644)

 at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:483)
 at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:995)
 at org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:223)
 at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:405)
 at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11Protocol.java:376)

 at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:508)
 at
org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:518)

 at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:536)