tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Dmitry ..." <dimchi...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 4.0.{3,4} not starting
Date Sun, 30 Jun 2002 01:08:33 GMT

Hi.
In the first case, it looks to me like tomcat should have been started -- these are the normal
messages.
Try to connect to :8080/">http://<localhost>:8080 with your browser.
If tomcat is up, it should present you with the default page.
--Dmitry

  Sean Kelly <sean@lists.randomfx.net> wrote: Hi,

I am having problems starting Tomcat on my machine.

I have tried both 4.0.3 and 4.0.4 binary installations (setting
CATALINA_HOME appropriately) without success. Here is what I see in
either case:

root@box1:/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4/bin# ./startup.sh
Using CATALINA_BASE: /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4
Using CATALINA_HOME: /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4/temp
Using JAVA_HOME: /usr/local/jdk1.3.1_03
root@box1:/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4/bin#

but no ports open up and ps shows no new process running.

In an attempt to do some debugging I also tried:

root@box1:/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4/bin# ./catalina.sh run
Using CATALINA_BASE: /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4
Using CATALINA_HOME: /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4/temp
Using JAVA_HOME: /usr/local/jdk1.3.1_03
Segmentation fault
root@box1:/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4/bin#

Reading README.TXT and RUNNING.TXT there seems to be nothing
difficult with getting a binary installation up and running so what
problem have I come up against?

Some details from my system:

Slackware Linux 8 based system
Kernel 2.2.21 + SMP (Dual P-III 1Ghz)
Sun Java SDK 1.3.1_03 (with JAVA_HOME set correctly)

Could someone offer advice? I saw nothing relevant in the
archives so please point me to the message(s) if I missed it/them.

Regards,

--
Sean Kelly