tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <>
Subject Re: Mailing List Load.... Forum???
Date Fri, 28 Jun 2002 16:48:17 GMT

On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, Steve Russell wrote:

> Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 09:31:12 -0400
> From: Steve Russell <>
> To: Tomcat Users List <>
> A usenet group would be best for everyone.

Not if you're behind a firewall that disallows NNTP.  And I don't think a
web interface (via Google or whatever) cuts it for this kind of thing, but
that's my opinion.

> Someone with an occasional question wouldn't have to go through the
> hassle of finding the web forum, subscribing, yada yada just to ask a
> question.

Can't they do exactly that using any of the existing mailing list

> The traffic would be off of any one groups server.

If you want to set it up, be my guest.

> Nobody would have to have their mailboxes filled up.

That's what message filters are for.  I auto-route messages for each
mailing list I subscribe to into a separate folder, which functions (from
a user interface point of view) *exactly* like a newsgroup does.  My inbox
only gets the non-mailing-list messages (plus the spam I haven't blocked
yet, of course :-).

> People could even read/post to the group through the web via google
> Steve

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message