tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Joel Rees <j...@alpsgiken.gr.jp>
Subject Re: AW: Unwanted Subscriptions, Suggestions
Date Wed, 26 Jun 2002 07:33:53 GMT
> That has been done.

Yeah, the problem is that the people who really need the help often
don't know how to (or even can't) find the definitive answer. It's a
catch 22.

> You get the result if you send a mail to
> mailto:tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org.

What _is_ the purpose of the "mailto:" protocol specifier in the link?

I know it is mis-handled on the browser that is most commonly used by
those who have the most trouble. (Which means that a click on the link
doesn't work for them, even if they are sending from the address they
subscribed from!)

> (This address is part of the footer of most
> messages that are delivered to this list)
>
> Unless an user doesn't make clear that he has
> followed all instructions (including sending a
> mail to tomcat-user-owner@jakarta.apache.org)
> I don't see any reason to give further assist.

I'd agree with that, except that in the specific case that seems to have
induced this thread, the person having trouble has suffered for a month
trying all she could figure out. Her browser and internet connection
seem to be rather limited, and she seems to have subscribed by accident,
or perhaps to have been signed up by a "helpful friend" who doesn't seem
to be helpful any more.

Joel Rees <joel@alpsgiken.gr.jp>