tomcat-users mailing list archives

From B...@sjm.com
Subject RE: Help! I am so stuck. Tomcat NT credential
Date Fri, 07 Jun 2002 14:14:59 GMT
Hi all,

Thanks for all of your help.  I did a test by taking the administrators
group off the allowed NT credential list on my JSP folder.  It stops
working.  Put it back in, it works.  So, Tomcat must be using that
credential to load JSPs. My question now is that how can we direct Tomcat to
use the credential of the person who logged in.

Also, do you guys know what the values of the <auth-method> element (FORM,
BASIC, ...) in the web.xml means?  I read the dtd and digged for
documentation but nothing came up.

Thanks very much.

Bao-Ha Dam Bui
bbui@sjm.com
S. Jude Medical, Inc
651.765.1018

-----Original Message-----
From: Reynir Hübner [mailto:reynir@hugsmidjan.is]
Sent: Thursday, June 06, 2002 12:09 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: Help! I am so stuck. Tomcat NT credential

Hi,

It's possible to understand your question in two different ways, so I answer
in two different ways.

First answer :
  If you are running tomcat as a service you should be able to see which
user it is that runs it (from the services dialog). If you are not running
it as service it is using the nt user that starts it.

Second answer :
I dont know if there is any NT-authentication realm with tomcat, but still,
it's always possible to implement one, by implementing the interface
org.apache.catalina.realm.RealmBase. I guess I would use JAAS to access the
user-accounts in NT.
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/docs/guide/security/jaas/tutorials/index.html
If you are using ADSI-userbase (or Exchange 5.5 or newer) you might want to
check out JNDI access over LDAP to ADSI. In that context you might want to
take a look at JNDIRealm.

I suggest you read
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/realm-howto.html

hope it helps