tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Eric Hollander>
Subject Re: Does Tomcat want to stand alone?
Date Wed, 05 Jun 2002 02:51:12 GMT
On Monday 03 June 2002 18:24, you wrote:
> My impression of Tomcat is that one winds up having to learn ALL of it's
> features at once. It is also very hard to find out answers to simple things
> on their web site... like how do you turn off directory indexing in Tomcat?
> I can find stuff on security managers, jndi and class loaders, but whenever
> I have a simple question I get stuck.

One of the common criticisms about Java is that it's great for big-scale
stuff but it's harder to use for small stuff.  This really is true, and it's
also true for Tomcat.  You can learn perl very quickly and you can write a
basic cgi and install it in apache very quickly.  Just learning how to
install and get Tomcat started is a challenge.  Just writing "hello world" is
vastly more complicated.  You can write a hello-world cgi in two lines.  In
Java you need to install everything, and then subclass Servlet, and set up
web.xml, etc, etc.  So you are right, you need to learn a lot more to do
simple stuff, but it works a lot better when you need to do big stuff.

But if you are already familiar with java and tomcat it because very quick
and easy to set up simple applications.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message