tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "John Roth" <john.r...@providersolutions.net>
Subject RE: How well does tomcat 4.0.03 work as a HTTP server?
Date Wed, 12 Jun 2002 11:59:16 GMT
I agree with Trevor.  Here are a few things to think about as well:
1. Tomcat performance vs. dedicated web server (Apache or IIS):  Tomcat
(supposedly) is not as efficient at serving static content.  We switched off
of IIS/Tomcat because of a problem with SSL and large file uploads to Tomcat
standalone.  Because our app is 90% dynamic content, our tests showed no
change in performance.  If your app is highly static, a dedicated web server
offers some better 'tweaking' capabilities (such as cacheing static images,
etc).  Try it & measure your differences.
2. Using Tomcat in standalone mode does take a layer of complexity out of
the configuration.
3. Drawback: inability to use any other scripting languages in addition to
jsps, such as CGI, PHP, ASP

Just some food for thought!

John

-----Original Message-----
From: Trevor Nielsen [mailto:tnielsen@wedgetail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 2:08 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: How well does tomcat 4.0.03 work as a HTTP server?

Tomcat works fine as a regular HTTP server, but does not server
up pages as well as a dedicated HTTP server like Apache.  It also
does not allow for the fine-tuning and advanced features of a
dedicated HTTP server (this is the reason that many people use
Tomcat to serve jsps/servlets from behind Apache). As long as your
are only planning to serve up pages to a small load and in the most
basic configuration, Tomcat should be fine.

Trevor.