tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Eddie Bush <ekb...@swbell.net>
Subject Re: Null Pointer Exception - would you please take a look?
Date Tue, 18 Jun 2002 18:57:24 GMT
I'm getting really annoyed =)  It seems you people haven't actually read my
question thoroughly enough to actually understand what I'm doing.  The
thought crosses my mind that you see the subject and then just scan and put
in some standard "Oh he's an idiot - he needs to do this" response.  The
problem is with a JDBCRealm!  I do NOTHING to send/receive anything to/from
the database.  I was of the understanding that Tomcat did this when I
configured the realm and set up the security-constraint.

While I believe my XML to be valid and correct, I will happily post it for
inspection if someone thinks it would help.  Here is a sequence of what
happens and the actors that are involved:

Actors:  Me and Tomcat

Me:  Enter url of page that is protected by a security constraint into my
browsers address bar.  Press enter.
Tomcat:  Returns to the client a page that looks like:

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html;
charset=windows-1252"></HEAD>
<BODY><PRE></PRE></BODY></HTML>

(This is not what the actual page is - it's a JSP file - index.jsp - with
much different content.  Also notice I'm not calling a servlet!  Even if I
were, it wouldn't make a bit of difference at this point because Tomcat
hasn't authenticated me!  This happens when Tomcat should authenticate me -
it is NOT my coding!!!)

In my server log file, I have an error that starts off as:

2002-06-17 12:29:28 [org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpRequestHandler]
java.lang.NullPointerException
    at interbase.interclient.PreparedStatement.setString(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm.credentials(JDBCRealm.java)
    at org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm.authenticate(JDBCRealm.java)
    at org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm.authenticate(JDBCRealm.java)

My catalina.out has no indication of anything having gone awry - it merely
has status messages indicating that the server was started (why isn't there
a timestamp in here?).

Any ideas?  Thank you for having actually READ THE ENTIRE MESSAGE so you
UNDERSTAND my problem before having issued a reply =)  Ack!  I'm sorry but
I'm frustrated by the responses I am getting - makes me wanna just jump up
and down and scream at the top of my lungs ... Please - I BEG of you - clue
me in here - any thoughts why this is happening?  Again, I can post my XML
if you think I need to.

A couple of questions people have asked up to this point, along with the
answer:

Q: Are you passing a null string?