tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Brad Rhoads" <brho...@zethcon.com>
Subject Security Realm Limitations (More on protecting PDF documents.)
Date Fri, 28 Jun 2002 20:06:40 GMT

I've determined that I can use security realms to protect PDF documents.
(See http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/realm-howto.html if you
happen to be getting started on this problem).

I need to be able to give access to one set of pdfs to one group of users,
and to different sets for other groups of users. It looks like I can
accomplish this much by creating separate directories for each group and
setting up a role for each group. But I have two related problems left:

1. The same PDF may be available to multiple groups. It seems that I would
have to maintain duplicate copies of the PDFs, one for each group.

2. This group level security provides the base list of available PDFs. I
need to be able to take away access to documents from certain users within a
group.

Suggestions? Or better yet examples?