tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "John Gregg" <john.gr...@techarch.com>
Subject RE: Null Pointer Exception - would you please take a look?
Date Mon, 17 Jun 2002 22:38:41 GMT
Is the String you're setting null?  I can't say how your driver handles that
case, but maybe it doesn't like it.  The jdk javadocs don't mention it.  Is
the String too big for the column, does it have weird characters in it?  If
you can turn on debugging for the driver, try that.  If you have the source,
recompile with debugging on and run in a debugger.  If you're desperate
enough, decompile the bytecode, recompile with debugging on, and run it in
the debugger.  You didn't hear it from me.

john

-----Original Message-----
From:
tomcat-user-return-22966-john.gregg=techarch.com@jakarta.apache.org
[mailto:tomcat-user-return-22966-john.gregg=techarch.com@jakarta.apache.
org]On Behalf Of Eddie Bush
Sent: Monday, June 17, 2002 5:18 PM
To: Tomcat Users Mailing List
Subject: Null Pointer Exception - would you please take a look?

I'm running Tomcat 4.0.1, InterBase 6 Super Server, and Apache 1.3.22.

Everything works super, until I throw in a JDBC realm and try to connect to
an application protected by a security constraint.  When I do, I get the
following exception in my server log:

2002-06-17 12:29:28 [org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpRequestHandler]
java.lang.NullPointerException
    at interbase.interclient.PreparedStatement.setString(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm.credentials(JDBCRealm.java)
    at org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm.authenticate(JDBCRealm.java)
    at org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm.authenticate(JDBCRealm.java)

... and it continues.  I hate to paste it all unless it's necessary to do
so.

My thought was that someone may have experienced this - or that it may be a
known issue.  I checked the docs to ensure that my driver implements
PreparedStatement and setString() ... and it does.  It's a JDBC 1.0 driver
though.

What would be the recommended course of action?  I'm not sure what's going
on here for certain, and that's why I'm posting.

Thanks in Advance!

Eddie