tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "John Gregg" <john.gr...@techarch.com>
Subject RE: connection pooling strategy
Date Fri, 28 Jun 2002 15:01:45 GMT
I haven't done any tests lately, but once upon a time establishing a db
connection was an expensive operation.  It was slow enough that you didn't
want users sitting there waiting unnecessarily every time they hit a web
page.  A connection pool was the solution-- reuse the same open connection
over and over.  I coulnd't tell you anything about Access and pools.  Create
a test with a loop that opens and closes a db connection 10 or 100 or 1000
times and look at the average time.

john

-----Original Message-----
From:
tomcat-user-return-24387-john.gregg=techarch.com@jakarta.apache.org
[mailto:tomcat-user-return-24387-john.gregg=techarch.com@jakarta.apache.
org]On Behalf Of AMRAN121@aol.com
Sent: Friday, June 28, 2002 9:44 AM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: connection pooling strategy

Hi All

I am a regular reader of this mailing list now and I quite often read about
connection pooling. I sort of understand what it is and I have read it in
many books. I just wanted to know what real benefits does it actually
provide? My home tomcat server runs with a MS Access database conected to it
and when i create the ODBC datasource it gives you the option to connection
pool. I tried it but i could not see any real improvements? So my question
is
in what type of environment does one really need to invest the time to
design
a connection pool strategy for? and if you have a MS Access database then is
it better to write your own connection pool or use MS Access connection
pool?
Do other databses come with connection pools?

Thanxs in advance

Regards
Amran