tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Gus Heck" <sparver...@telocity.com>
Subject Does Tomcat want to stand alone?
Date Tue, 04 Jun 2002 00:29:23 GMT
Hi,

I've been playing with tomcat a little bit, I like JSP, and it does that well, but when it
comes to operating on it's own as a web server, I have been a bit frustrated. I don't seem
to be able to find mechanisms in Tomcat that support things like URL rewriting or content
negotiation. Granted that content negotiation can be acheived with java code, and I suspect
one could also write java to do something that aproximated rewriting, but these are standard
features of most web servers, and I am wondering if this functionality exists and I am not
finding it within tomcat, or if there are implementations of this functionality available
somewhere. It seems silly to have to write this sort of thing that is standard on other servers.

If not, is this something Tomcat is working towards?

I'm fond of metaphors, so let me ask it another way:

Is Tomcat destined to be as independant as it's namesake, or is it really a housecat that
will always be found sitting in the window at 1 httpd way?

Gus