tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "John Gregg" <john.gr...@techarch.com>
Subject RE: [offtopic] IDE for Tomcat?
Date Fri, 14 Jun 2002 13:45:50 GMT
I agree.  You don't need $3000 IDEs.  I use UltraEdit + JSwat + Ant +
WinCVS.  Total cost: $30.  Make sure to take advantage of the configurable
tools in your editor, if it has any.  I can launch Tomcat, Postgres, JUnit,
and compile, run, clean, you name it all from within UltraEdit.  Some of my
coworkers like JBuilder but they seem to struggle with it sometimes because
you have to do everything the JBuilder way.  I do everything the John way.
Total cost: priceless.

john

-----Original Message-----
From:
tomcat-user-return-22592-john.gregg=techarch.com@jakarta.apache.org
[mailto:tomcat-user-return-22592-john.gregg=techarch.com@jakarta.apache.
org]On Behalf Of Joel Sather
Sent: Thursday, June 13, 2002 1:45 PM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: RE: [offtopic] IDE for Tomcat?

Personally, I don't need code completion and stuff so I just use a
simple editor and then ANT to do the builds.  I need to deploy on a
different machine so I just check the file into CVS and run ANT on the
server (does the pull from CVS and then compiles into my JAR).  Once the
build and deployment are done, if you have Tomcat setup right it
recognizes the new JAR has been uploaded.  Very slick.

Anyway, it really depends on which features you need from your IDE.  I
can do everything I need with ANT and vi if I have to now.  :)

-J

Joel Sather
email: Joel.Sather@csu.mnscu.edu
phone: 651-917-4719