tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Neil Zanella <nzane...@cs.mun.ca>
Subject Re: Tomcat newbie: multiuser installation
Date Mon, 27 May 2002 18:38:18 GMT

On Sun, 26 May 2002, Phillip Morelock wrote:

> I don't know about the "~" stuff but I do know the probable reason you have
> to be root to do what you're doing:
>
> To bind to a port < 1024 on linux you must be root.  If you've bound tomcat
> to a port lower than 1024, you'll have to be root to start it.

I have tomcat running on the standard tomcat port which is 8080 so that
should not be a problem. However it seems that allowing users to shut
down and restart the server manually is not good because one user could
end up starting the server and another shutting it down at the same
time. There must be a better way, such as setting up a cron job to
restart tomcat every so often. Is this how it is done? Alternatively,
can users run their own instances of the tomcat server? I don't see
how a tomcat installation could cater to multiple developers, each
developing their own servlets, without causing trouble. (?)

> As far as being able to load new classes, have you tried using reloadable
> contexts?  search google for
>
> tomcat 4 reloadable contexts

I will have a look.

Thanks,