tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Milt Epstein <mepst...@uiuc.edu>
Subject RE: [urgent!] Disabling the context's content listing
Date Thu, 16 May 2002 15:09:06 GMT

The original poster doesn't indicate which version of Tomcat they are
using -- how this is done is version-specific.  "This" being disabling
directory listings/indexes -- and usually there is a more specific way
to do it than using a welcome file.  For example, with Tomcat 4.0.X,
there is a way to configure it in the default server-wide web.xml file
(so it applies to all contexts/applications), and it can be overridden
on a per context/application basis (in each context/application's
web.xml file).  It's documented pretty well in the server-wide web.xml
file -- you set the listings init-param for the default servlet to the
appropriate value.  For other versions of Tomcat, I suggest checking
the archives of this list.  Here's a good place to do that:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/

Look for tomcat-user in the list of apache lists.  You might also look
through the comments in the server-wide configuration files that come
with your version of Tomcat.

On Thu, 16 May 2002, Vaneet Sharma wrote:

> nancy
>   look below
> this is web.xml
> add the welcome-file-list to your web.xml file

> <!DOCTYPE web-app
>     PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application 2.3//EN"
>     "http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2.3.dtd">
> <web-app>
>

> <welcome-file-list>
>     <welcome-file>index.html</welcome-file>