tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Anibal Constante Brito" <aconstante...@hotmail.com>
Subject compile or not?
Date Fri, 24 May 2002 07:21:22 GMT
Hello:

I dont understand somthing, I a beginner of Java programming and Tomcat. I read in some tutorial
that when a wirte a servlet, just put the .java in \WEB-INF\classes and the tomcat compile
this .java in .class, but I tried to do this useless.
I have windows XP and my CLASSPATH:C:\Program Files\Apache Tomcat 4.0\common\lib and JAVA_HOME:C:\Program
Files\jdk1.3.1_01\bin, and my web site is in d:\....

and I have the same problem of other, I read a some tutorial too and...
public class UserData {
    String username;
    String email;
    int age;

    public void setUsername( String value )
    {...
I put in UserData.java and compiled and put in the same directory \WEB-INF\classes, and when
 call
I find this and compiled and put in the same directory \WEB-INF\classes, and when call
SaveName.jsp
<jsp:useBean id="user" class="UserData" scope="session"/><jsp:setProperty name="user"
property="*"/>
receive this error:

An error occurred at line: 1 in the jsp file: /SaveName.jsp

Generated servlet error:
C:\Program Files\Apache Tomcat 4.0\work\localhost\_\SaveName$jsp.java:56: Class org.apache.jsp.UserData
not found.
                UserData user = null;
                ^

Why?