tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Gary Frick" <gjfr...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: I'm getting no responses to my requests for help on this list
Date Thu, 16 May 2002 16:25:15 GMT
Tom,

I'm just running IIS 5 on XP Professional along with Tomcat.  Does that
constitue 2 servers?  If you need to look at any files let me know.

Thanks,
Gary
----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Oinn" <tmo@ebi.ac.uk>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 16, 2002 10:33 AM
Subject: Re: I'm getting no responses to my requests for help on this list

> Hi,
>
> We're going to need some details of your environment, os and suchlike.
> Do you have any other servers running on this machine?
>
> Tom
>
> Gary Frick wrote:
> >
> > Hi All,
> >
> >    I've been working day and night trying to get Tomcat started and to
get past the HTTP 500 error when trying to invoke the JSP examples.  I've
been combing the archives, but I'm not seeing any real solutions.  What must
I do and where must I go to get help?

> >    First it would be helpful to know what is going on.  When I try to
start Tomcat I get the following (See below. Only providing first few lines
of trace).  When I try //localhost/examples  I can execute the servlets, but
not the JSPs.  On the JSPs I always get HTTP Status 500 messages.  I've
followed the recommendations to recheck the classpaths and environment
variables (JAVA_HOME and TOMCAT_HOME), but this hasn't helped.  For one
thing I don't understand why port 8080 is already in use.  How can I check?

> > Thanks,
> > Gary
> >
> > Catalina.start: LifecycleException:  null.open:  java.net.BindException:
Address
> >  already in use: JVM_Bind:8080
> > LifecycleException:  null.open:  java.net.BindException: Address already
in use:
> >  JVM_Bind:8080
> >         at
org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpConnector.initialize(HttpConne
> > ctor.java:1130)
> >         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.initialize(StandardService.j
> > ava:454)
> >         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.initialize(StandardServer.jav
> > a:553)
> >         at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:780)
> >         at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:681)
> >         at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:179)
> >         at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
> >         at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown
Source)
> >         at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
> >         at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:243)
> > ----- Root Cause -----
> > java.net.BindException: Address already in use: JVM_Bind:8080
> >         at
org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpConnector.open(HttpConnector.j