tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Webdesign" <webdes...@advance-enterprise.com>
Subject Multiple Tomcat Instances on Linux Box : Binding exceptions galore : No ideas left
Date Sun, 19 May 2002 07:44:30 GMT
Hi folks.

I'm trying to setup tomcat on one of our servers so that multiple developers
can have their own tomcat instance, but keep running into bind exceptions.
I've been fiddling with it for quite a few days but have come to a stage
where I can't figure out what more to do.

_______________________
Here is the setup:

We use redhat linux 7.2, tomcat rpm 4.0.3-1, j2sdk-1.4.0.  Tomcat has been
installed in /var/tomcat4 on the server. For each developer I have set
CATALINA_BASE to point to their own tomcat directory (
/home/www/<user>/tomcat ) which contains the conf/webapps/temp/logs
directories. I have modified the server.xml file in each users directory to
use unassigned ports ( eg ports 9620 to 9629 for user1, 9630 to 9639 for
user2 etc...). There are no other services running using any of these ports.

The server is assigned a whole heap of IP addresses, so IPs
192.168.1.253-240, for instance, all point to the same physical machine. All
ip addesses resolve to a name. ie 192.168.1.253=<user1>.domain.cxm,
192.168.1.252=<user2>.domain.cxm etc... DNS works fine. These names are used
in each users server.xml file (for engine and hosts). No two server.xml
files share the same hostname.

Tomcat is started by calling '/usr/bin/tomcat4 start' This script has been
modified to run the '/usr/bin/dtomcat4' script as the user making the call.

Now, to start each instance, each user telnets into the server and executes
the command '/usr/bin/tomcat4 start'. The directories tomcat uses are all
correct (it does use the correct CATALINA_BASE).

_____________________
The problem is this:

Tomcat runs for each user if no other tomcat instance is running (I ensure
that by running gtop on the server and killing instances run by other
users). However, if one other instance of tomcat is running (by another
user), we get the error message below.

I have tried commenting out all the connectors except for non-SSL HTTP/1.1.
I have turned them all on and generated keystore files for SSL.

I have replaced the hostnames with the IP addresses.

Nothing seems to work. I am at a complete loss at what to do. If anybody has
ANY idea where to go from here, I am open to suggestions.

_____________________
error message is:

Catalina.start: LifecycleException:  Error creating server socket
(java.net.BindException):  java.net.BindException: Address already in use
LifecycleException:  Error creating server socket (java.net.BindException):
java.net.BindException: Address already in use
	at
org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpConnector.initialize(WarpConnector.ja
va:491)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.initialize(StandardService.java:454
)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.initialize(StandardServer.java:553)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:780)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:681)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:179)
	at
)
	at
.java:25)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:243)
----- Root Cause -----
java.net.BindException: Address already in use
	at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketBind(Native Method)
	at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.bind(PlainSocketImpl.java:321)
	at java.net.ServerSocket.bind(ServerSocket.java:308)
	at java.net.ServerSocket.bind(ServerSocket.java:266)
	at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(ServerSocket.java:182)
	at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(ServerSocket.java:138)
	at
org.apache.catalina.net.DefaultServerSocketFactory.createSocket(DefaultServe
rSocketFactory.java:118)
	at
org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpConnector.initialize(WarpConnector.ja
va:485)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.initialize(StandardService.java:454
)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.initialize(StandardServer.java:553)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:780)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:681)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:179)
	at
)
	at
.java:25)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:243)

Bert van Brakel

Web Design
Advance Enterprise Ltd (AEL)
email     : webdesign@advance-enterprise.com