tomcat-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Andy Eastham" <andy.east...@gliant.com>
Subject RE: Problems serving PDF to Netscape browsers
Date Fri, 10 May 2002 10:44:57 GMT
Jeff,

I just tried this through my apache(1.3.20)-tomcat(4.0.4b1) connection using
warp, serving the document from a webapp directory, through apache.
Ironically, the pdf worked correctly in ns 4.72 and 6.2, but displayed as
binary in the browser in ie 6 (even though right clicking and viewing
properties said it was an "adobe acrobat document".  When I put the same
file in the apache root, it displayed correctly in all browsers.

There's obviously something screwy going on, because I've checked the mime
type is correctly configured in both.

For reference, these are the headers that came back using a telnet
connection on port 80:

GET /control/test.pdf HTTP 1.1

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 10:17:10 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.20 (Win32)
Content-Type: application/pdf
Content-Length: 33747
ETag: "33747-1019121624574"
Last-Modified: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 09:20:24 GMT
Connection: close

%PDF-1.2
%âãÏÓ



GET /test.pdf HTTP 1.1

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 10:17:55 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.20 (Win32)
Last-Modified: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 09:20:24 GMT
ETag: "0-83d3-3cbe8fd8"
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Content-Length: 33747
Connection: close
Content-Type: application/pdf

%PDF-1.2
%âãÏÓ

Andy

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Jeff Larsen [mailto:larsen@qec.com]
> Sent: 09 May 2002 22:33
> To: Tomcat Users List
> Subject: Re: Problems serving PDF to Netscape browsers
>
>
> The content type header is correctly set to "application/pdf".
> I even tested with a UNIX command line utility called webgrab
> which dumps the entire server response (including headers) to stdout.
> I can't find anything wrong with the server output. And yes, I tried
> it on another box to make sure it wasn't my system's fault.
>
> It's got to be something that the Netscape plugin doesn't like. I just
> uninstalled Acrobat and did my dynamic PDF page with all three browsers.
> Without Acrobat, they all just prompted me to save it as a file. All three
> files that I generated with each browser are identical!!! And once Acrobat
> was re-installed, they all opened just fine in the stand-alone Acrobat.
>
> Jeff
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Andy Eastham" <andy.eastham@gliant.com>
> To: "Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> Sent: Thursday, May 09, 2002 4:20 PM
> Subject: RE: Problems serving PDF to Netscape browsers
>
>
> > Jeff,
> >
> > Do you know that the correct mime type is being sent back to
> the browser?
> > If there is no known mime type, I believe that IE makes guesses
> about what
> > program to launch a file with based on its extension, but NS 4
> doesn't seem
> > to do this.
> >
> > If you haven't solved it yet, check the mime type being served,
> and check
> > the associated programs for this mime type in Netscape.
> >
> > Otherwise, check the log file to see if the requests from IE and NS are
> > different.  Is one http 1.0 and http 1.1?
> >
> > Sorry if I'm not offering any solutions, but hopefully these are some
> > additional routes for investigation.
> >
> > Andy
> >
> > > -----Original Message-----
> > > From: Jeff Larsen [mailto:larsen@qec.com]
> > > Sent: 09 May 2002 19:45
> > > To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
> > > Subject: Problems serving PDF to Netscape browsers
> > >
> > >
> > > I'm running out of hair to pull out here...
> > >
> > > My ultimate goal is to server dynamically generated
> > > PDF documents generated with iText. I've got it working
> > > just fine with MSIE. However, I was just getting blank
> > > pages with Netscape (and it wasn't even showing the toolbar
> > > for Acrobat). With NS6 I could at least see that it started
> > > an AcroRd32.exe process, but NS4 didn't even get that far.
> > >
> > > So, I did some tests to rule out some variables. I grabbed
> > > a handful of pre-generated PDF files and stuck them on
> > > my Apache 1.3.23 server. All browsers could display the
> > > PDFs just fine.  Then I set up Tomcat 4.0.3 to server the
> > > same files directly without going through Apache. MSIE worked,
> > > but both NS browsers gave a blank page with no Acrobat plugin
> > > toolbar. Again NS6 managed to start an Acrobat process, NS4
> > > didn't.
> > >
> > > My production environment is Apache 1.3.23 and Tomcat 4.0.3
> > > connected with mod_jk.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > --
> > > To unsubscribe, e-mail:
> > > <mailto:tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
> > > For additional commands, e-mail:
> > > <mailto:tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > To unsubscribe, e-mail:
> <mailto:tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
> > For additional commands, e-mail:
> <mailto:tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>
>
> --
> To unsubscribe, e-mail:
> <mailto:tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
> For additional commands, e-mail:
> <mailto:tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>
>
>



--
To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <mailto:tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
For additional commands, e-mail: <mailto:tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>


Mime
View raw message