tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Mark Annal" <MarkAn...@targusinfo.com>
Subject User to start Tomcat under
Date Thu, 23 May 2002 15:34:37 GMT
Hi there,

I'm new to this list and have an operating practice question. Forgive me if this has been
covered before.

I'm running Tomcat on a Solaris platform and starting it out of init.d. Right now it is starting
and running under the root user. Is this appropriate? Should I start it as a different user?

Apache starts as root but then forks off the "real" processes as under the "nobody" user.
It seems I might want to try to accomplish something similar for Tomcat.

Thanks in advance for any help...

Mark Annal                       e-mail: markannal@targusinfo.com
TARGUSinfo                       phone : (585) 598-7011
255 Woodcliff Drive              fax   : (585) 598-7001
Fairport, NY 14450               web   : www.targusinfo.com