tomcat-users mailing list archives

From tamir <ta...@movious.com>
Subject RE: Updating files without restarting Tomcat
Date Wed, 01 May 2002 12:29:24 GMT
Hi,
In order for tomcat to reload your files, you have to add "reloadable=true"
to your application
context in server.xml.
However, this will cause tomcat to restart each time one of yout classes has
been changed or one of the jars
in WEB-INF/lib.
Not only, it'll effect performance, but creating a new class loader isn't so
obvious, and might cause problems (If you use jni, for example).

good luck,
Tamir

-----Original Message-----
From: cbarnes [mailto:cbarnes@tarantella.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 01, 2002 12:16 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Updating files without restarting Tomcat

I am using Tomcat 4.

I have a .properties file in my WEB-INF/classes part of my work tree, which
is read in using a ResourceBundle.
My problem is that if I update this properties file it does not recognise
the new version until I have restarted Tomcat.
Is there a config value I can change so that I don't have to restart Tomcat
each time I change the properties file?
If there is can it apply to only certain files or sections of the
application? I don't want Tomcat to check if .class files have changed
everytime it uses them as this isn't necessary and will obviously effect
performance.

Thanks,
Catharine