tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Wigzell, Cathy" <cathy.wigz...@bakeratlas.com>
Subject Debugging with Visual Cafe and Catalina
Date Thu, 30 May 2002 10:49:15 GMT
I'm trying to debug my servlets using Visual Café and I can't quite get it
to work. I'm using:

Catalina from Tomcat 4.0.2

Visual Café 4.5.1 Expert (trial)

VM 1.3.1_02

IIS (with isapi_redirect.dll as the servlet engine)

When I start the VC debugger, Catalina can find my web.xml and loads my
servlet which is marked as load-on-startup. All looks fine. However, when I
start a client browser and point it to the loaded servlet, the VC debugger
catches a NoSuchMethodError and it tries to find the source of
org.apache.catalina.code.StandardContextValve (presumably it's trying to
step into the code). The local_host log shows no unusual errors, but I do
get "GET /jakarta/isapi_redirect.dll 500" in the IIS log.

Everything runs normally when I run Catalina from the command line (i.e. not
from the debugger) so I don't think the problem lies with IIS.

Obviously, some kind of message is getting through from the client browser,
via IIS, to the VC debugger. It's very frustrating because I feel it's
almost working - but not quite!

Does anyone have experience of successfully debugging using Visual Café?
Where am I going wrong?

Many thanks,

Cathy