tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rick Negrin <Ri...@ViAir.com>
Subject apache connectors description
Date Fri, 31 May 2002 01:47:34 GMT

Can someone explain, or point me to a description of,  the differences
between the different apache connectors (mod_jk, mod_jserv, mod_webapp, and
coyote) for Tomcat and whether they are supported under Tomcat 4.x and
Apache 2.x under Windows? The documentation on all of them is pretty slim
and I am having a hard time trying to figure out which one to use.  I am
using Tomcat 4.0.3 so I think that rules out coyote as that is new with 4.1.
I think mod_jserv is old and it isn't even referenced in the Tomcat 4.0.3
docs.
As for the other two (mod_jk and mod_webapp) I couldn't find them in the
4.0.2 or 4.0.3 releases.  However, I did find a mod_webapp in the 4.0.1
build.  I also saw the note that "AJP 1.3 native connectors binaries for
Tomcat 3.2 and 3.3 are fully compatible with Tomcat 4.0 AJP 1.3 connector. "
So I tried grabbing the mod_jk.dll from the 3.2 release.
However, I noticed both mod_jk.dll and the mod_webapp.so link against
apachecore.dll. Which I don't have in my Apache 2.x installation. As far as
I can tell this is a DLL that existed in Apache 1.3.x but does not exist in
2.x.  In addition, the Apache documents say explicitly that the third party
module APIs have changed and that existing modules that were built for 1.3
will not work in 2.0.
Has anyone gotten Apache 2.0 hooked up with Tomcat 4.0? The Tomcat builds
don't seem to have separate connector modules for Apache 2.0 for any OS.  I
am using Tomcat 4.0.3 and Apache 2.0.36 on Windows 2000.
Rick Negrin
Software Engineer
Viair, Inc.
206.428.4228