tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Phillip Morelock <subscripti...@phillipmorelock.com>
Subject Re: Can't Find JavaBean
Date Fri, 24 May 2002 05:22:00 GMT
Hey there,

Don't worry about this at all -- have seen this question probably ten times
in the last month.  You seem to be doing everything "correctly."

I don't remember any of the solutions, but here's what **I** do and it never
fails.

ALWAYS always always (in my opinion) jar your classes, and put them in
WEB-INF/lib instead of WEB-INF/classes .  I have never had a single problem
finding classes once I started putting them in jars.

If you don't know how to do this, read on.

Go to the directory _above_ com/wrox/cars/CarBean.class .  So if you type
'ls' (dir on windows) you should see among the entries "com" and that
directory should contain the wrox/cars/CarBean.class hierarchy.

Then type:
jar cvf cars.jar com

(this is assuming you have the JDK/bin stuff in your path, like java, javac
etc)

Take this jar file (cars.jar) and put it in
c:\jakarta-tomcat-4.0\webapps\begjsp-ch04\WEB-iNF\lib\

Remove the entire "classes" directory.

Restart tomcat and you're good to go.

If you don't know what a jar is -- it's a zip-compressed file that contains
your class hierarchy -- so com/wrox/cars/ and com/mysite/foobar and etc.
should all be either jarred together as one directory structure, or you can
make several jars like this and put them in WEB-INF/lib .

Cheers
fillup