tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Rutledge, Aaron" <>
Subject RE: forcing SSL
Date Thu, 23 May 2002 19:16:04 GMT

-----Original Message-----
From: Ingo Bruell []
Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2002 1:03 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: forcing SSL

RA> I'm trying to clear one last hurdle on this whole SSL thing.  How
RA> exactly do I force a certain page to require https protocol?  The
RA> on SSL (which I have just about memorized at this point) states...

RA> "Any pages which absolutely require a secure connection should check
RA> protocol type associated with the page request and take the
RA> action of https is not specified."

RA> Can this be done in the web.xml file or is this done within each JSP
RA> Servlet?  Is it possible to seamlessly redirect a user who requests
RA> page through http to be switched to https without altering the
RA> code of each page?  I've scanned every e-mail on SSL on this list
RA> November and I've seen many similar requests, but nobody has ever
RA> answered it.  Weird.  If somebody could point me in the right
RA> I would be very grateful.  Regards!  Aaron

Yes, put the following into the web-xml security-constraint part and
tomcat redirects automaticly to ssl if the resource was requested.

it is necessary that ssl is correctly set up in server.xml. Have a
look at the HOW-To on the tomcat homepage

so long

Ingo Bruell

<ICQ# 40377720>
Oldenburg    PGP-Fingerprint: CB01 AE12 B359 87C4 BF1C  953C 8FE7 C648
169E E5FC
Germany      PGP-Public-Key available at

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>