tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "IRWIN,KEITH (HP-Corvallis,ex1)" <keith_ir...@hp.com>
Subject JNDI, DataSource and "Cannot create resource instance"
Date Thu, 23 May 2002 18:12:56 GMT
Folks--

I've been beating myself to death over this issue (and have read as many of
the archives on both this, the postgres-jdbc and google resources) and never
even get to the point where those solutions work:

Here's the story:

I'm using postgresql jdbc drivers that come with RedHat 7.2 (and I've tried
a lot of others).

I'm using the Tomcat 4.0.3 RPM version (and had to manually add the tyrex
classes, though that changed nothing).

I've set things up according to the JNDI Howto:

But when I execute this line of code:

	ConnectionPoolDataSource pooledDataSource =

(ConnectionPoolDataSource)envContext.lookup("jdbc/ecosystem");

I get a NamingException with a message:

	Cannot create resource instance.

What exactly is this message telling me?  I'm thinking that it cannot create
an instance of the javax.sql.DataSource instance (which is in my web.xml and
server.xml), but the jdbc drivers are there (and only one copy) and aren't
in my webapp lib dir, and so on and so forth.

I'm trying to get out of using PoolMan since it's no longer in development
and gives me a "Concurrancy" exception when I try to run db transactions
against it.

Hints much appreciated!

Keith