tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Simon Edwards" <si...@gx.nl>
Subject Valves and (disappearing) Context Parameters
Date Wed, 01 May 2002 09:54:47 GMT

Hi all,

I'm having a bit of trouble getting the bugs out of my own Valve.

Short story: Custom valves that implement Lifecycle cause the web.xml
context parameters to disappear (i.e. not be visable to .jsp files).

Long story:

When using AccessLogValve all context parameters defined in web.xml and in
the server.xml are visable. (application.getInitParameterNames();) This is
good.

Here is a test I did:

* Copied AccessLogValve.java out of the tomcat source and into my
application.
* Changed its name, and fixed the package it was in etc, so that it now
compiles.
* deployed the app.
* Added my new valve to the server.xml
* restarted the server.
* ran my test .jsp page.
* application.getInitParameterNames(); now only returns the Parameters
defined in server.xml, and none of the context parameters from web.xml. This
is bad.

* When the new valve is removed from the pipeline, server restarted etc, all
of the expected parameters are available.

I've tracked it down to the Lifecycle stuff. Removing " ..implements
Lifecycle" from my custom valve fixes the problem. Although I can't explain
why everything works fine for AccessLogValve (which uses Lifecycle), but not
for my custom valve even when it is a copy of AccessLogValve. :(

Tomcat 4.0.2
JDK 1.3.1
Red Hat Linux release 6.2 (Zoot)
Kernel 2.2.19-RAID on an i686