tomcat-users mailing list archives

From peter lin <peter....@labs.gte.com>
Subject Re: iPlanet + tomcat integration
Date Tue, 28 May 2002 17:47:44 GMT

Is there a reason why you aren't using iPlanet's jsp/servlet engine?
Besides the obvious fact iPlanet's implementation is out of date.
iPlanet ent 6 is much better than iPlanet 4.  Perhaps try the newer
version of iPlanet? that might be more fruitful than trying to integrate
tomcat with iPlanet 4.

peter

Gal Binderman wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> I'm trying to integrate tomcat with iPlanet web server.
> My final destination is to cause the iPlanet get .jsp request from a client, forwarding
it to tomcat (running
> on the same machine), let the tomcat execute it and getting back the results to the client,
all that transparent
> to the client (meaning that I don't want him to know there is a tomcat by being redirected
or something...)
> I want ther iPlanet to transfer JSP requests to the tomcat AJP12 connector, listening
port 8007 (I don't want other connectors and the tomcat listener to run). I also want the
tomcat to run as an out of process from iPlanet (but I do want to make iPlanet to start the
connector...)

> I have found a lot source codes, binaries, questions and documentation about this subjects,
but it seems that
> none of them is clear enough to apply.
>
> Is there anyone who has been able to use that configuration and can provide some kind
of clear "step-by-step" guide?
> What to download, versions, how to compile/install, how to configure, how to test, etc?
> Is this configuration even possible?
>
> Here are the details:
>         Solaris 8.0 O/S running on a SPARC machine (U10, 256MB memory).
>         JDK 1.3 (from SUN)
>         ANT latest (from apache)
>         iPlanet web server 4.1 SP2
>         $JAVA_HOME, $JAKARTA_HOME, ANT_HOME are set properly
>
> Have tried the following layouts:
>         tomcat 4.0.3 binary and source
>         tomcat 3.3.1 binary and source
>         tomcat connectors 4.0.2-01 from source
>         nsapi_redirector.so from apache web site (compiled for solaris 2.6)
>
> I can install and run tomcat on port 8080, and run JSPs when accessing it (from source)
> When I install from source, the AJP12+AJP13 connectors are listening on ports 8007 and
8008 by defaults (from source)
> I've tried to edit the default workers.properties to match my system.
> I've tried to compile my own nsapi_redirector.so (no success)
> I've tried to compile my own AJP12 connector (no success)
>
> I've managed, after installing tomcat from source and starting it (with AJP12 listener)
+ putting the nsapi_redirector.so
> under iPlanet + configuring obj.cong + disabling the iPlanet built in servlet engine
for that web server, to get the AJP12 listener