tomcat-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Mats Nyberg ...@tim.se>
Subject Re: Problems serving PDF to Netscape browsers
Date Fri, 10 May 2002 10:54:38 GMT
we've had the same problem. it turned out that the PDF we were serving 
wasn't
"optimized for the web".

we produced it using adobe acrobat, i don't know what this corresponds 
to in the
PDF produced.

Andy Eastham wrote:

>Jeff,
>
>I just tried this through my apache(1.3.20)-tomcat(4.0.4b1) connection using
>warp, serving the document from a webapp directory, through apache.
>Ironically, the pdf worked correctly in ns 4.72 and 6.2, but displayed as
>binary in the browser in ie 6 (even though right clicking and viewing
>properties said it was an "adobe acrobat document".  When I put the same
>file in the apache root, it displayed correctly in all browsers.
>
>There's obviously something screwy going on, because I've checked the mime
>type is correctly configured in both.
>
>For reference, these are the headers that came back using a telnet
>connection on port 80:
>
>GET /control/test.pdf HTTP 1.1
>
>HTTP/1.1 200 OK
>Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 10:17:10 GMT
>Server: Apache/1.3.20 (Win32)
>Content-Type: application/pdf
>Content-Length: 33747
>ETag: "33747-1019121624574"
>Last-Modified: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 09:20:24 GMT
>Connection: close
>
>%PDF-1.2
>%âãÏÓ
>
>
>
>GET /test.pdf HTTP 1.1
>
>HTTP/1.1 200 OK
>Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 10:17:55 GMT
>Server: Apache/1.3.20 (Win32)
>Last-Modified: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 09:20:24 GMT
>ETag: "0-83d3-3cbe8fd8"
>Accept-Ranges: bytes
>Content-Length: 33747
>Connection: close
>Content-Type: application/pdf
>
>%PDF-1.2
>%âãÏÓ
>
>Andy
>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>From: Jeff Larsen [mailto:larsen@qec.com]
>>Sent: 09 May 2002 22:33
>>To: Tomcat Users List
>>Subject: Re: Problems serving PDF to Netscape browsers
>>
>>
>>The content type header is correctly set to "application/pdf".
>>I even tested with a UNIX command line utility called webgrab
>>which dumps the entire server response (including headers) to stdout.
>>I can't find anything wrong with the server output. And yes, I tried
>>it on another box to make sure it wasn't my system's fault.
>>
>>It's got to be something that the Netscape plugin doesn't like. I just
>>uninstalled Acrobat and did my dynamic PDF page with all three browsers.
>>Without Acrobat, they all just prompted me to save it as a file. All three
>>files that I generated with each browser are identical!!! And once Acrobat
>>was re-installed, they all opened just fine in the stand-alone Acrobat.
>>
>>Jeff
>>
>>----- Original Message -----
>>From: "Andy Eastham" <andy.eastham@gliant.com>
>>To: "Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
>>Sent: Thursday, May 09, 2002 4:20 PM
>>Subject: RE: Problems serving PDF to Netscape browsers
>>
>>
>>>Jeff,
>>>
>>>Do you know that the correct mime type is being sent back to
>>>
>>the browser?
>>
>>>If there is no known mime type, I believe that IE makes guesses
>>>
>>about what
>>
>>>program to launch a file with based on its extension, but NS 4
>>>
>>doesn't seem
>>
>>>to do this.
>>>
>>>If you haven't solved it yet, check the mime type being served,
>>>
>>and check
>>
>>>the associated programs for this mime type in Netscape.
>>>
>>>Otherwise, check the log file to see if the requests from IE and NS are
>>>different.  Is one http 1.0 and http 1.1?
>>>
>>>Sorry if I'm not offering any solutions, but hopefully these are some
>>>additional routes for investigation.
>>>
>>>Andy
>>>
>>>>-----Original Message-----
>>>>From: Jeff Larsen [mailto:larsen@qec.com]
>>>>Sent: 09 May 2002 19:45
>>>>To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
>>>>Subject: Problems serving PDF to Netscape browsers
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>I'm running out of hair to pull out here...
>>>>
>>>>My ultimate goal is to server dynamically generated
>>>>PDF documents generated with iText. I've got it working
>>>>just fine with MSIE. However, I was just getting blank
>>>>pages with Netscape (and it wasn't even showing the toolbar
>>>>for Acrobat). With NS6 I could at least see that it started
>>>>an AcroRd32.exe process, but NS4 didn't even get that far.
>>>>
>>>>So, I did some tests to rule out some variables. I grabbed
>>>>a handful of pre-generated PDF files and stuck them on
>>>>my Apache 1.3.23 server. All browsers could display the
>>>>PDFs just fine.  Then I set up Tomcat 4.0.3 to server the
>>>>same files directly without going through Apache. MSIE worked,
>>>>but both NS browsers gave a blank page with no Acrobat plugin
>>>>toolbar. Again NS6 managed to start an Acrobat process, NS4
>>>>didn't.
>>>>
>>>>My production environment is Apache 1.3.23 and Tomcat 4.0.3
>>>>connected with mod_jk.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>--
>>>>To unsubscribe, e-mail:
>>>><mailto:tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
>>>>For additional commands, e-mail:
>>>><mailto:tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>--
>>>To unsubscribe, e-mail:
>>>
>><mailto:tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
>>
>>>For additional commands, e-mail:
>>>
>><mailto:tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>
>>
>>--
>>To unsubscribe, e-mail:
>><mailto:tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
>>For additional commands, e-mail:
>><mailto:tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>--
>To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <mailto:tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
>For additional commands, e-mail: <mailto:tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>
>
>
>



--
To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <mailto:tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org>
For additional commands, e-mail: <mailto:tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org>


Mime
View raw message