tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Paul Phillips <p...@partitura.com>
Subject JNDI Data Source and Mac OS X with Tomcat
Date Sat, 11 May 2002 02:06:43 GMT
I am trying to debug JNDI resources as described at the jakarta.apache
documentation pages at:

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/jndi-resources-howto.html

I should add that I have already successfully done this on Solaris and
Linux.  However, when I try the exact same setup on Mac OS X, I am getting
a naming exception when I try to access the database.

What I am trying to do is use a data source with connection pooling.  I
have copied the server.xml and web.xml files exactly from my solaris box,
where it works fine.  The database is the same (mysql).

I can access the database fine from within a servlet if I go directly with
the DriverManager.  It is the data source that doesn't work.

I can't figure out at all what might be different about OS X...  It seems
so generic.

I have quoted portions of the server.xml and web.xml below.

I would be most grateful for any suggestions...

Paul Phillips

Here is the relevant portion of the web.xml file:

<resource-ref>
<description>
Resource reference to a factory for java.sql connection
instances that may be used for talking to a particular database
that is configured in the server.xml file.
</description>
<res-ref-name>
jdbc/theDB
</res-ref-name>
<res-type>
javax.sql.DataSource
</res-type>
<res-auth>
Container
</res-auth>
</resource-ref>

Here is the relevant portion of the server.xml file.

(from within a context)

	     <Resource name="jdbc/theDB" auth="Container"
	           type="javax.sql.DataSource"/>
	     <ResourceParams name="jdbc/theDB">
	          <parameter>
		      <name>user</name>
		      <value>username</value>
		  </parameter>
                  <parameter>
		      <name>password</name>
		      <value>thepassword</value>
		  </parameter>
                   <parameter>
		      <name>driverClassName</name>
		      <value>org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver</value>
		  </parameter>
		     <parameter>
		      <name>driverName</name>
		      <value>jdbc:mysql://localhost/dbname</value>
		  </parameter>
	       </ResourceParams>