tomcat-users mailing list archives

From puffm...@darksleep.com (Steven J. Owens)
Subject Re: Tomcat, Apache & JBoss
Date Thu, 30 May 2002 22:21:08 GMT
On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 10:58:19PM +0200, Rafal Kedziorski wrote:
> has somebody make experiences with Tomcat, Apache & JBoss on W2K? I found
> some installation guides for installing this software under Unix. Works
> this on W2K too?

     Making tomcat work on windows is deceptively simple.  Don't mess
around with the .exe files in the 4.0.3 release directory, just get
the zip file (or the .tar.gz if you're using cygwin and have tar and
gunzip) from:

http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/release/v4.0.3/bin/

     ...and extract the whole hierarchy to somewhere obvious like
C:/tomcat.  Then cd into C:/tomcat/bin and type startup.bat<return>.

     Startup.bat will figure out appropriate environment variables and
fire up tomcat.  Or you can set the W2K environment variable
CATALINA_BASE.

     This, of course, assumes you already have the JDK installed
properly on the win2K machine.  I'm not sure if there are any problems
using Tomcat with the JRE.

     I haven't used the JBoss version yet, but I suspect it'll be just
as simple.

     Speaking of startup.bat, I was trying to package Tomcat with the
free version of installanywhere the other day.  Packaging it for
installation went fine, but trying to set up a launchanywhere didn't
go so fine.  Launchanywhere seems to only be able to fire up a java
class, not a script.  Of course, it was the free version.  Sooner or
later I'm going to go code up a java version of startup.bat and use
that, unless somebody here points out a more obvious solution.

     When I *do* get that all working, does somebody more involved
with Tomcat development want a copy of it (the spiffy, gui install
version of tomcat, that is, not just the startup class) to stick on
the website?

Steven J. Owens
puff@darksleep.com