tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Michael Teter <michael_te...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: I'm getting no responses to my requests for help on this list
Date Thu, 16 May 2002 14:45:04 GMT
This list is very active, and due to the amount of
noise, it's hard to see or respond to every message.
I'm sure it's not personal :)

Anyway, I don't know the background on your problem,
but the "address already in use" issue is certainly
not going to help anything.

You've got to figure out what you have running that
could be using that port.  I can't remember which app
servers use which ports for sure, but almost certainly
you already have an app server running.  Do a $ ps -ef
| more and scour the list of processes.  Do you have
Turbine/tdk?  Zope?  OpenACS/AOLServer?  Anything
else?

As a last resort, (but I really recommend you find the
conflict instead), you could edit your
$TOMCAT_HOME/conf/server.xml file and change your
non-SSL HTTP connector entry to use a different port,
like say 8675.  Then create the following file in your
$TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/ROOT

File test.jsp---------------------------
<%
String s = "Hello World.";
%>
<h1>This is my test page</h1>
<%=s%>
(end of test.jsp)------------------------

Now point your browser to
http://127.0.0.1:8675/test.jsp

You should see a page that says
"This is my test page
 Hello World."

Good luck.
Michael

--- Gary Frick <gjfrick@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>    I've been working day and night trying to get
> Tomcat started and to get past the HTTP 500 error
> when trying to invoke the JSP examples.  I've been
> combing the archives, but I'm not seeing any real
> solutions.  What must I do and where must I go to
> get help?
>
>    First it would be helpful to know what is going
> on.  When I try to start Tomcat I get the following
> (See below. Only providing first few lines of
> trace).  When I try //localhost/examples  I can
> execute the servlets, but not the JSPs.  On the JSPs
> I always get HTTP Status 500 messages.  I've
> followed the recommendations to recheck the
> classpaths and environment variables (JAVA_HOME and
> TOMCAT_HOME), but this hasn't helped.  For one thing
> I don't understand why port 8080 is already in use.
> How can I check?
>
> Thanks,
> Gary
>
> Catalina.start: LifecycleException:  null.open:
> java.net.BindException: Address
>  already in use: JVM_Bind:8080
> LifecycleException:  null.open:
> java.net.BindException: Address already in use:
>  JVM_Bind:8080
>         at

org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpConnector.initialize(HttpConne
> ctor.java:1130)
>         at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.initialize(StandardService.j
> ava:454)
>         at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.initialize(StandardServer.jav
> a:553)
>         at

org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:780)
>         at

org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:681)
>         at

org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:179)
>         at
> sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native
> Method)
>         at
> sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown
> Source)
>         at

sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown
> Source)
>         at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown
> Source)
>         at

org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:243)
> ----- Root Cause -----
> java.net.BindException: Address already in use:
> JVM_Bind:8080
>         at

org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpConnector.open(HttpConnector.j