tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject RE: choosing where to deploy class files
Date Thu, 09 May 2002 18:27:55 GMT

On Thu, 9 May 2002, Tim Cronin wrote:

> Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 12:43:55 -0500
> From: Tim Cronin <tim@13-colonies.com>
> To: 'Tomcat Users List' <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: RE: choosing where to deploy class files
>
> > In other words, this package has internal references to Catalina classes?
> > Yuck ...
>
> no.
> It has nothing to do /w Catalina. The Realm I developed is the only thing
> that directly references Catalina classes.
>
> The package the Realm uses to access the Database is a totally self
> contained
> encapsulation of our data model and It is used by other applications.
> It handles all Database access. It is our internal standard.
> I have servelets that have access this package as well.

OK, so why can't you put the database package in common/lib and your Realm
implementation in server/lib?  The common/lib stuff is visible to Catalina
internal classes, because it's class loade is the parent of the server/lib
class loader.

> It would be similar if I was using the ORO regexp package in the
> Realm and in a Servlet. So I would have to place the oro jar file
> in common\lib and server\lib? xerces is in the common\lib but I would
> assume is used internally by tomcat.

See the diagram in the class-loader-howto document I pointed at earlier in
this thread.  You'll see that putting the ORO classes in common/lib would
make them available to both Catalina classes and your webapp's classes.

Craig