tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: What methodologies/systems/practices do you use?
Date Mon, 20 May 2002 16:30:50 GMT
Hello Michael,

Check out http://barracuda.enhydra.org/cvs_source/Barracuda/index_details.html

I am a developer of Barracuda and can tell you that it is a fantastic
way to develop servlets based on Model 2.  It is actually inspired by
the way Swing apps work.  It uses Components to deal with the
interface which, underneath everything, use the DOM to manipulate the
presentation layer.

Currently, XMLC is used to create the DOM presentation.  Because of
this, you can write pages in 100% HTML with no deviations from the
HTML 4.0.1 Strict specification for your presentation layer.  This
sure beats JSP where Java code and Markup are mixed because it lets
your page designers be designers and coders be coders.  This
presentation layer ends up acting as your storyboard as well since
they are pure HTML + css + javascript.

For your coders, Barracuda has a robust Event model, Form mapping
Framework, and Component model.

Barracuda is less concerned with things like database pooling, but
there are so many packages out there that provide you with this
functionality, why rewrite it?  Barracuda is a Presentation Framework
and doesn't get in the way of using anything else with it.  You could
use Struts right along-side if you wanted to.  It gives you great
flexibility because it provides functionality without locking you
into any specific way of doing development.

All of this runs in any Servlet 2.2+ compliant servlet engine such as
Tomcat-3.3.x or Tomcat-4.x.x.

There are lots of details I left out, but there are lots of docs that
can fill in the blanks.

We will be releasing version 1.0.3 sometime within the next week or
so.  If you want to play with it in the mean-time, I suggest grabbing
the latest CVS source.  It is very stable...probably more so than an
actual release that we have so far.  Check it out!

Jake

Monday, May 20, 2002, 10:23:09 AM, you wrote:

MT> Howdy.

MT> I'm looking for one or more guide documents for
MT> JSP/Servlet/? development for doing web applications.

MT> Specifically, I'm hoping to find some best practices
MT> for doing modern web application development using
MT> production quality (not bleeding edge) technologies.

MT> For example, right now I generally follow the Model-2
MT> practice (JSPs, JavaBeans, and Servlets), using JDBC
MT> with some db connection pool objects I found on the
MT> web.  However, I feel like I'm reinventing lots of
MT> wheels (I especially dislike manual form development.)
MT>  On the other hand, I took a cursory look at Turbine
MT> (for example), but I found it to be too complex to
MT> interest me.  I have fiddled with Zope, peeked at
MT> OpenACS, fumbled with ColdFusion, and even (gasp!)
MT> considered ASP.NET.  At this point I don't care what
MT> language or technology.

MT> I am willing to dig deep, but I'd like some idea in
MT> advance so I hopefully don't invest a lot of time into
MT> something I'll throw away.

MT> If this helps, here are the things I need.
MT> o  I need robust forms (server, and optionally also
MT> client side validation of fields)
MT> o  Transactional, pooled database access
MT> o  User/form access security
MT> o  As a bonus, it would be super nifty if I could find
MT> a system that would allow me to train a less technical
MT> (non-programmer) to develop and test database-backed
MT> forms.  (This person currently is experienced doing MS
MT> Access forms.)

MT> If this is the wrong forum for this kind of
MT> discussion, my apologies.  In my work (mostly
MT> contract), I usually find myself working solo on a
MT> project, or being the only person in the company doing
MT> development, so I don't have any peers to discuss
MT> these topics with.

MT> Much thanks,
MT> Michael Teter

Best regards,