tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Running an external application from a Java servlet environment
Date Tue, 07 May 2002 16:44:14 GMT
Hello Helen,

The media player is a client side thing.  It has no clue whatsoever
that you sent the media content via a servlet or a static file.  You
just have to make sure that when you send the content in the response
that you set the appropriate mime-type.  If the user has media player
installed *and* it is associated with that mime-type, then media
player will be automatically launched on the users machine to play the
content.

Jake

Tuesday, May 07, 2002, 11:28:50 AM, you wrote:

HDP> Dear People,

HDP> I am trying to invoke Windows Media Player from within a Java Servlet environment
using Tomcat however I can only invoke the application but I CAN'T seem to automatically get
it to play any
HDP> content. I have to physically type in the path and then WIndows media player will
play it. Is there any way that I can not only launch the media player AND play the content
from within there? If
HDP> I can't why not? I am guessing that Java Servlets have only a sandbox environment
involved in there!

HDP> Regards

HDP> Helen Pringle

Best regards,