tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <>
Subject Re: global resources
Date Wed, 29 May 2002 19:05:09 GMT
Hello Christian,

By chance, are the libraries that you put in TOMCAT_HOME/lib refer to
libraries that you put in your webapp's WEB-INF/lib?  If so, this just
isn't going to work.  The WEB-INF/lib libraries can see libraries in
TOMCAT_HOME/lib, but not the other way around.

For instance, the developers at Log4j say that you should have
log4j.jar in each separate webapp's WEB-INF/lib directory.  However,
this imposes itself upon any libraries that are using Log4j.  They
will need to also be inside WEB-INF/lib as well where, if Log4j was
designed a non-static way where it could exist in TOMCAT_HOME/lib and
serve all webapps with Loggers without running into each other, then
you could have the libraries that reference log4j safely in

If you didn't understand that, if all else fails, just put everything
in WEB-INF/lib except for XML and DOM libraries, which are forbidden
in the child classloader, and stuff like DBCP which both Tomcat and
your webapp need access to (TOMCAT_HOME/common/lib).

CJD> I can't seem to get my classes as global.
CJD> I want them to be acessed by all applications... so I placed it under $CATALINA_HOME/classes
and $CATALINA_HOME/lib right?
CJD> Well... when I do that, either two things happen: it doesn't find the classes and
nothing works, or it gives me a crazy error regarding ServletException and some cast error.
CJD> any clues?
CJD> .:| Christian J. Dechery
CJD> .:| FINEP - Depto. de Sistemas
CJD> .:|