tomcat-users mailing list archives

From John Niven <John.Ni...@marcat.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat as automatic service in WinNT 4.0
Date Fri, 10 May 2002 13:34:26 GMT

Jayakumar,

I've used the following code snippet to set up an NT service on NT4 (Tomcat
4.0...2?):

"%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\tomcat.exe" -install ApacheTomcat
"%JAVA_HOME%\jre\bin\classic\jvm.dll"
-Djava.class.path="%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\bootstrap.jar;%JAVA_HOME%\lib\tools.j
ar" -Dcatalina.home="%CATALINA_HOME%" -Xrs -start
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap -params start -stop
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap -params stop -out
"%CATALINA_HOME%\logs\stderr.log"

(That's all one line, by the way).

This code was taken from a website, URL published on this list a while ago
(sorry, I don't have it to hand).  To uninstall the service, use:

"%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\tomcat.exe" -uninstall "ApacheTomcat"

Obviously, you can replace "ApacheTomcat" with something else: I chose that
name because it then appeared near the beginning of the services list ;-)

There's a couple of caveats:
1. replace \jre\bin\classic\jvm.dll with \jre\bin\hotspot\jvm.dll if your
JDK is 1.3+.
2. my install constantly fails when I shut down the service -- I believe
(but I've not yet confirmed) that this is due to my CATALINA_HOME: I
installed Tomcat off x:\Program Files\ - I'd recommend installing Tomcat
somewhere with _no_spaces_ in the filepath.  Anecdotal evidence suggests
this is the cause of my shutdown problem.

> Jayakumar

Hope that helps,
John

 --