tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Paul Balanoiu" <Paul.Balan...@Siatel.RO>
Subject Re: Re[2]: Receipt of 16/05/102 17:27 message
Date Thu, 17 May 2001 12:44:53 GMT
The "reply-to" field is optional (usualy it's not present).
the "from" field is imperative.
And I don't think the behavior of Andrew Bate's mail server is normal (from
all the mail servers which host the users of the list, his was the only one
with that problem, and this means a very low percentage :).
Paul

----- Original Message -----
From: "Phil Shrimpton" <phil@shrimpton.co.uk>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, May 17, 2002 4:34 PM
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Receipt of 16/05/102 17:27 message

On Thursday 17 May 2001 11:55, you wrote:

Hi,

> Still, you are (or your server is) sending the receipt not to the one that
> requested it, but to the entire list (which appears only in the "to" field
> of the message). This is not right (and it's annoying for all the other
> users).
> Try to set your server or email client to send the receipt only to the
> address that requested it (the address specified in the "from" field).

Most, if not all, mail servers use the 'reply-to' header to send reciepts,
which is set for this list, on this list.  The 'from' address does not have
to contain and email address.

A lot of mailing lists have the reply-to address set to the sender, not the
list, for this reason

Phil

--
Linux 2.4.4-4GB
  1:28pm  up 4 days,  2:57,  3 users,  load average: 0.08, 0.02, 0.01

For additional commands, e-mail: