tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Emerson Cargnin - MSA" <emers...@sicredi.com.br>
Subject Re: I'm getting no responses to my requests for help on this list
Date Thu, 16 May 2002 14:33:56 GMT
if you are on a linux box, try : ps -ef | grep tomcat
if any process are shown, try to shut it down (shutdown.sh), if it doesn't
work, try to kill the parent process.

good luck : )

Emerson
----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Oinn" <tmo@ebi.ac.uk>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 16, 2002 11:33 AM
Subject: Re: I'm getting no responses to my requests for help on this list

> Hi,
>
> We're going to need some details of your environment, os and suchlike.
> Do you have any other servers running on this machine?
>
> Tom
>
> Gary Frick wrote:
> >
> > Hi All,
> >
> >    I've been working day and night trying to get Tomcat started and to
get past the HTTP 500 error when trying to invoke the JSP examples.  I've
been combing the archives, but I'm not seeing any real solutions.  What must
I do and where must I go to get help?

> >    First it would be helpful to know what is going on.  When I try to
start Tomcat I get the following (See below. Only providing first few lines
of trace).  When I try file://localhost/examples  I can execute the
servlets, but not the JSPs.  On the JSPs I always get HTTP Status 500
messages.  I've followed the recommendations to recheck the classpaths and
environment variables (JAVA_HOME and TOMCAT_HOME), but this hasn't helped.
For one thing I don't understand why port 8080 is already in use.  How can I
check?

> > Thanks,
> > Gary
> >
> > Catalina.start: LifecycleException:  null.open:  java.net.BindException:
Address
> >  already in use: JVM_Bind:8080
> > LifecycleException:  null.open:  java.net.BindException: Address already
in use:
> >  JVM_Bind:8080
> >         at
org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpConnector.initialize(HttpConne
> > ctor.java:1130)
> >         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.initialize(StandardService.j
> > ava:454)
> >         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.initialize(StandardServer.jav
> > a:553)
> >         at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:780)
> >         at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:681)
> >         at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:179)
> >         at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
> >         at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown
Source)
> >         at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
> >         at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:243)
> > ----- Root Cause -----
> > java.net.BindException: Address already in use: JVM_Bind:8080
> >         at
org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpConnector.open(HttpConnector.j