tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Ajit Bhat" <a...@in.ardensys.com>
Subject application setup problem
Date Wed, 08 May 2002 10:31:17 GMT

Application setup problem : My application is not running

I have installed Tomcat 4.0.3 alongwith Apache 1.3.20 on Red Hat Linux 6.2. I can see the
index page telling me that Tomcat is running fine. Also, I can execute properly the examples
that come alongwith the Tomcat server.

But now, when I try to create my new application ( called cms ) in webapps folder and create
my own web.xml file in the WEB-INF folder of the application, complying to the rules of Tomcat
4.0.3 and Servlet Specification 2.3, I get error page when I try to execute my application
in web browser. If I remove my <servlet> and <servlet-mapping> tags from my web.xml
and keep only the <web-app> with it's DOCTYPE declaration, then I don't get any error.
But as soon as I add my <servlet> and <servlet mapping> tags, it displays the
following error :
Apache Tomcat/4.0.3 - HTTP Status 404 - /cms/

type Status report

message /cms/

description The requested resource (/cms/) is not available.

At times I also get some error about WebApp & WarpConnection which I am not able to understand
fully.

Also, sometimes the examples which were working fine earlier stop working and display error
page when I modify my application's web.xml and restart Tomcat.

I have made necessary additions of setting up Context in server.xml of Tomcat.

Is there anything else I need to add or how do I proceed further in my debugging and fixing
up the problem ?

Thanks.
Ajit