tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Abraham Fathman" <afath...@one.net>
Subject RE: Does mod_webapp support name-based virtual TOMCAT hosts?
Date Wed, 08 May 2002 03:59:04 GMT
Jeff,

According to:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/config/engine.html
appBase isn't a standard attribute. I just deleted mine and everything
seems to still work.

Maybe it defaults to webapps or maybe that isn't a valid setting... You
might want to search the source code for appBase and see if anything
besides the element is using it.

You might be able to set a host on the engine tag for warp that points
to a host that has the appBase you are looking for.

Sorry I don't know for sure - I just deploy my webapps in
tomcat/webapps/<<app_name>>.

Abe

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff [mailto:jefflists@tiaxa.net]
Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 12:15 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Does mod_webapp support name-based virtual TOMCAT hosts?

Ah... ok, I just assumed that "Tomcat-Standalone" established the
baseline values that got inherited by the "Tomcat-Apache" service and
were used absent a conflicting value there.

There's still one problem, though...  I changed the appBase in the
Tomcat-Apache section to an absolute path (/export/home/jeff/tomcat),
but it's still being ignored, and Tomcat is still trying to deploy the
app into /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.3-LE-jdk14/webapps/
(/usr/local/tomcat is a
symlink) instead.

Is this a bug with Tomcat or mod_webapp, or am I still doing something
wrong? I know that Java itself would consider "/export/home/jeff/tomcat"
to be a relative pathname under Windows (because it doesn't begin with a
drive letter), but this is running under SunOS5.8 ... so if it's being
interpreted as relative, I don't know what it could possibly be relative
TO since it begins with a slash ;-)

As an alternate theory as to what might be wrong, are there any
requirements that all the directories LEADING UP to
/export/home/jeff/tomcat (/export, /export/home, and /export/home/jeff)
be read/execute for any particular group or user, or is it sufficient
for just appBase
("/export/home/jeff/tomcat") and its contents to be read/write/execute?
It hasn't bitten me in a while, but years ago I went through lots of
grief over APACHE's refusal to serve files unless it had permission to
traverse the ENTIRE path (from / to the directory)...

Thanks!

my new Tomcat-Apache section:

<Service name="Tomcat-Apache">

    <Connector
className="org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpConnector"
     enableLookups="true"
     acceptCount="10" debug="1"/>

    <!--     appBase is being ignored...
                Tomcat is still trying to deploy into
/usr/local/tomcat/webapps -->
    <Engine className="org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpEngine"
     name="tomcat.i300.net" debug="1"
appBase="/export/home/jeff/tomcat">

      <!-- Global logger unless overridden at lower levels -->
              prefix="warp." suffix=".txt"
              timestamp="true"/>

      <!-- Because this Realm is here, an instance will be shared
globally -->

    </Engine>
 <ApacheConfig />
  </Service>