tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Harippriya Sivapatham" <hsivapat...@pingtel.com>
Subject DirectoryIndex and caps in hostnames
Date Thu, 30 May 2002 20:01:53 GMT
Hi everyone,
   We have Apache/tomcat server hosting two websites - www.pingtel.com and
my.pingtel.com. Everything is working great, but there are two annoying
things going on and i would like to fix them.

1. When a user comes to http//www.pingtel.com, i want the server to load the
index file. In the httpd.conf file, i have "DirectoryIndex index.html
index.jsp". This works to some extent: http://www.pingtel.com automatically
loads http://www.pingtel.com/index.jsp

The problem is when i hit the browser's back button. It goes from
http://www.pingtel.com/index.jsp to http://www.pingtel.com.
http://www.pingtel.com in turn loads http://www.pingtel.com/index.jsp.

This just makes the browser's back button non-functional. I would appreciate
if anyone could let me know how i can fix this.

2. My second problem is: On Netscape, the websites work fine if the hostname
is all lower case (www.pingtel.com). However, if we use uppercase (like
WWW.PINGTEL.COM), it does not even go to the right site. It fails to find
any file that is referred to by a relative url (like /styles/common.css).

I have included relevant parts of my server.xml, web.xml and httpd.conf
file. I appreciate any insight into these problems.

Thanks in advance
Harippriya

----------------------- Server.xml ----------------------------------------
        <Host name="www.pingtel.com">
            <Context path="" docBase="webapps/pingtel"
                     debug="0"
                     reloadable="false">
            </Context>
        </Host>

	  <Host name="pingtel.com">
            <Context path="" docBase="webapps/pingtel"
                     debug="0"
                     reloadable="false">
            </Context>
        </Host>

        <Host name="my.pingtel.com">
            <Context path="" docBase="webapps/mypingtel"
                     debug="0"
                     reloadable="false">
            </Context>
            <Context path="/community" docBase="webapps/community" />
            <Context path="/NetTracker" docBase="webapps/NetTracker" />
        </Host>

        <Host name="updates.pingtel.com">
            <Context path="" docBase="webapps/updates.pingtel.com"
                     debug="0"
                     reloadable="false">
            </Context>
        </Host>

----------------------- Web.xml ------------------------------------------
<welcome-file-list>
	<welcome-file>
		index.jsp
	</welcome-file>
	<welcome-file>
		index.html
        </welcome-file>
</welcome-file-list>

----------------------- Httpd.conf ----------------------------------------

ServerRoot "/export/home/apache"
DocumentRoot "/export/home/tomcat/tomcat/webapps/pingtel"

<Directory />
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
</Directory>

<Directory "/export/home/tomcat/tomcat/webapps/pingtel">
    Options FollowSymLinks MultiViews
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

<IfModule mod_dir.c>
    DirectoryIndex index.html index.jsp
</IfModule>

<Files ~ "^\.ht">
    Order allow,deny
    Deny from all
</Files>

NameVirtualHost 216.142.118.36:80

<VirtualHost 216.142.118.36:80>
    	ServerName www.pingtel.com
    	ServerAlias pingtel.com
	DocumentRoot /export/home/tomcat/tomcat/webapps/pingtel
    	ErrorLog logs/www.pingtel.com-error_log
    	CustomLog logs/www.pingtel.com-access_log combined
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 216.142.118.36:80>
    ServerName my.pingtel.com
    DocumentRoot /export/home/tomcat/tomcat/webapps/mypingtel
    ErrorLog logs/error_log
    CustomLog logs/access_log combined
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 216.142.118.36:80>
    ServerName updates.pingtel.com
    DocumentRoot /export/home/tomcat/tomcat/webapps/updates.pingtel.com
    ErrorLog logs/updates.pingtel.com-error_log
    CustomLog logs/updates.pingtel.com-access_log combined
</VirtualHost>

Include /export/home/tomcat/tomcat/conf/mod_jk.conf-local