tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Adrian" <athi...@charter.net>
Subject Re: I'm getting no responses to my requests for help on this list
Date Thu, 16 May 2002 18:46:22 GMT

Although , a good description of the error output , what about platform ,
JVM maker and version etc...

----- Original Message -----
From: Gary Frick <gjfrick@hotmail.com>
To: <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 16, 2002 10:30 AM
Subject: I'm getting no responses to my requests for help on this list

Hi All,

   I've been working day and night trying to get Tomcat started and to get
past the HTTP 500 error when trying to invoke the JSP examples.  I've been
combing the archives, but I'm not seeing any real solutions.  What must I do
and where must I go to get help?

   First it would be helpful to know what is going on.  When I try to start
Tomcat I get the following (See below. Only providing first few lines of
trace).  When I try //localhost/examples  I can execute the servlets, but
not the JSPs.  On the JSPs I always get HTTP Status 500 messages.  I've
followed the recommendations to recheck the classpaths and environment
variables (JAVA_HOME and TOMCAT_HOME), but this hasn't helped.  For one
thing I don't understand why port 8080 is already in use.  How can I check?

Thanks,
Gary

Catalina.start: LifecycleException:  null.open:  java.net.BindException:
Address
 already in use: JVM_Bind:8080
LifecycleException:  null.open:  java.net.BindException: Address already in
use:
 JVM_Bind:8080
        at
org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpConnector.initialize(HttpConne
ctor.java:1130)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.initialize(StandardService.j
ava:454)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.initialize(StandardServer.jav
a:553)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:780)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:681)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:179)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:243)
----- Root Cause -----
java.net.BindException: Address already in use: JVM_Bind:8080
        at
org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpConnector.open(HttpConnector.j
ava:950)